Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Vacation Highlights: The French and Italian Riviera


Are you planning any vacations this summer? As soon as school got out, I went on a trip of a lifetime with my mom and sister. We spent a couple years planning it to celebrate my fortieth birthday and what ended up being the end of my mom's breast cancer treatment. Our trio spent most of our time in the French and Italian Riviera, but we had day-long trips to London, Paris, and the Cinque Terre. Here are a few highlights from our travels.


My favorite activity was hiring a boat to take us on a two hour tour of the Cinque Terre. While cruising down the coast, I kept repeating in my head, "I'm boating in the Italian Riviera!" It was almost too good to be true. Paired with an incredible meal at a hidden gem of a restaurant, I now understand what all the fuss over the Cinque Terre is about.


We had the good fortune of walking through the streets of the small, non-touristy town of Pieve de Teco for their monthly antique fair. I wished for an empty suitcase but settled for two vintage white dresses, one for me and one for my daughter.



We visited many hillside villages, and my favorite was St. Paul de Vence. We had our first lunch in France here, strolled their charming cobblestone streets, and topped it off with bright tasting gelato. I know part of it was the shiny look of everything on the first day of vacation, but St. Paul de Vence is pretty shiny on its own, too.


When I travel, I want to eat all of the fruits of the land (or sea!), and many of my favorite moments were savoring bites of homemade pasta, local seafood, and cold, creamy desserts. I couldn't help but take photos of many meals, too, and I'm already hunting down recipes to recreate my favorites in my own kitchen.

What are your favorite spots in the French and Italian Riviera? What things did you fall in love with?


No comments:

Post a Comment