Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Kid Book Club


What happens when you're the kid of two English teachers who like to host parties? You have a kid book club, that's what.

Over breakfast recently, my five-year-old asked if he could have a book club for kids, just like the kind I have with my girlfriends. With a twinkle in his eye, he enthusiastically listed off friends he'd like to include and his plan: each kid brings a favorite book, they all hang out and read, pass books around, and then the adults can read a couple books to the whole group.

How could I say no to that?

So, we're going to give it a try. Here is our plan:

Kids can bring a favorite books related to a single theme for each meeting including:
animals
adventure
summer
family
art
humor
transportation
food

One of my favorite parts of my book club is the snacking (!), so these meetings will be held after lunch with fruit, dessert, and drinks.

My son said he'd like to have an animated story playing at the beginning, so we'll pop in a Scholastic Storytime Treasure DVD that's related to the theme of the meeting.

We'll let people arrive, eat, and get settled for the fist 30 minutes.

Next we'll have a quiet book pass, with the books kids brought to share, for 10-15 minutes. Kids can read independently or quietly with a parent.

A couple parents, including the host and anyone else who feels like volunteering, will read a couple books to the whole group for story time.

The meeting can end with open play while parents mingle and chat until it's time to go.

I'm excited to give this a try because I love helping my son's idea come to life, and I'm elated that he sees how fun my book club is and wants to try one himself.


Any other ideas or things to add?

No comments:

Post a Comment